Botox can seem a little scary for those who have never tried it. To dispel any myths that are flying around, we sat down with the lovely Nurse Jean from Liplab Medical so that we can educate you on everything botox. Here are the top eight things you need to know.
1) What is Botox?
It is a substance that when injected to a muscle blocks the chemical that allows the muscle to contract. Hence, lesser muscle activity means lesser wrinkle formation.
2) I would like to do some Botox but I’m scared I would look unnatural and frozen or have weird eyebrows.
Work with a practitioner that shares the same vision as you. As long as the muscles targeted are the muscles that don’t affect you to animate or create expression, you will still look very natural and yourself – just with no lines and wrinkles this time. It’s like instant photoshop!
3) I am a baby when it comes to needles. How do I tolerate it?
Botox needles are tiny, baby needles. All you feel are tiny pricks and the mosquito blebs that appear after injection goes away in 20 minutes.
4) I’m getting married in 6 weeks. Can I still do it?
Botox takes two weeks to fully see results. And so for the next six weeks – this is what your timeline will look like.
- Six weeks prior – 1st botox treatment.
- Two weeks later – follow up to allow for tweaks and adjustment in dosing.
- Wait another two weeks for full effect. Two weeks before your wedding day – we have the perfect dosing.
- We will then do your final treatment and you’ll be perfect for the big day.
5) What is filler?
Filler, or Dermal fillers, are hyaluronic-acid based substances used to add volume and shape to areas such as lips, cheeks, chin, jawline, and tear troughs.
6) I’d love to add some volume to my lips but I’m scared to look ducky or have those sausage-looking lips. Will that happen?
Again, work with a practitioner that shares the same vision as you. In this case – less may be more. You still would want to look yourself on your wedding day – only BETTER. Possibly a half-syringe is all it takes or if you like to add more drama to your lips- a syringe is all you need.
7) How does filler work on cheeks or chin or jawline?
Cheek, chin and jawline fillers can dramatically change your profile and create more balance and symmetry. It harmonizes your facial features and creates a more defined facial structure. Ask us how to achieve that look!
8) Will I bruise bad?
Your face is a network full of vessels and arteries so YES, you will. Come in to the treatment thinking you will have a bruise and if you leave without it, that’s a bonus!
9) When do I schedule my filler treatment before my wedding day?
Give yourself a good two to three weeks to heal from treatment. And since fillers love water, hydrate yourself to achieve the best results and your skin will thank you, too!