Let’s be honest, we aren’t all cut out for 9-5. I mean who has time for 9-5 these days.
If your life is like mine; running kids from soccer to gymnastics, family functions, trying to self care, there really leaves no time or energy for having a regular full time gig. I got to a point where I didn’t want to compromise my family & life for a job which did not fulfil me. When my manager told me I could not have my son’s birthday off I vowed that I would start figuring out ways to make money on my terms while still doing something I loved.
I cried a bit & told my husband I was quitting my retail job to do what I love on my own timeline. I was makeup artist for Mac Cosmetics at the time. Which was great in many way, I loved helping women look & feel beautiful but the hours were not conducive to family life. I had taken a spray tan course and decided I would start focusing on this and my makeup business. I hit a few obstacles and fears of course which slowed me down but today I am happy to say I am fully self employed running an award winning beauty salon located east of Toronto Canada with a team of over 10 amazing and talented ladies!!
- Women actually feel like their life has improved with the instant gratification of a tan. This sounds superficial and lame. But, if you don’t believe me. Come visit me for a tan and then tell me something different lol. There is real satisfaction in helping women feel beautiful.
- The business can be as small or big as you want. Seriously there is no roof on this thing. I was using the spray tanning as a side hustle and an add-on for my makeup clients & then I attended the Spray Tanning Summit in Vegas and my whole world changed. I don’t want to say it’s an untapped market but let me just say the potential is endless.
- It’s super flexible. This is really important to me with a young family. I didn’t want to miss out on their lives to work for a large company who saw me as a number. I started out offering mobile tans & then set up a space from my home and now I have a studio space where I only travel out for large bookings & events such as fitness or bachelorettes parties.
- It was an easy add on to my current services. Airbrush makeup 🙂 The transition was fun to move from the face to the whole body. We now offer hair styling & eyelash extensions as well. So finding complimentary services was key for my clients.
- It’s a relatively small investment when you think about it. What other businesses can you start in less than a month and make your full time income, on your terms!?
- And obvi….I wanted to be tanned..the healthy way. I loved the feeling & look of being tanned but I knew the risks of over exposure to sun & UV. I desire to live a healthy life and I also want that for my clients. And YES I spray tan myself …. 😉
What you should know:
- Invest in good products, equipment & training. If you are going to do it do it right. You will build your business faster through referrals, have a better reputation & a better clientele.
- You will get from it what you put in to it. Luckily there is so much more available for Spray Tan Artist now then there was when I started my business in 2011.
- If you would like to chat with me about spray tanning for yourself or potentially as a business please feel free to contact me anytime. I just love to chat beauty & business!!
Spray Tan Artist & Educator